I know that every household has a system that works (or doesn't work) for them. Through trial and error, I've come up with a routine that seems to work for us. Here is what ours looks like...
First, I plan (roughly) our meals for 2 weeks on this Menu Planner.
Menu Planner
Then I pull the recipes from my recipe box and head to the pantry and refrigerator to begin making my grocery list. I keep the following two lists (Sam's Shopping List and Wal-Mart Shopping List) on the side of the refrigerator at all times so we can be sure to mark needed items as we think of them or run out. I really have no short term memory, so this helps me compile the most complete list. I absolutely hate getting home from the store and realizing that I forgot to add toilet paper to the list!
Since the Sam's list is short, I print it and then cut it in half.
Sam's Shopping List
The shopping list is printed double sided.
Shopping List
About this time every year, I get inspired to freeze more things that can be thawed and prepared in short amounts of time. It never fails, though, I forget what's in the freezer and 6 months later I find it covered in freezer burn and have to throw it away! I recently started keeping this list on the side of my refrigerator. So far it's serving the purpose beautifully. I just like to be able to see what I have frozen.
What's in the Freezer
So I know it looks like I'm pretty crazy (and I probably am) but this keeps me sane! Sure, things come up and we usually end up getting off track, but at least there was a plan in place when the week started. I typically go to the grocery store close to every weekend, but my larger trips are just once every other week. On the off weekends, I mainly just pick up milk for Addi, fresh produce and then any incidentals we might need.
So here's a picture of the side of my refrigerator. I would prefer to have a clean refrigerator with nothing on it, but this keeps us organized so I can deal with it.
I've been in this blog world long enough to know that there are some really talented and creative bloggers out there! It seems that we all face the same struggles when it comes to taking care of our children, our houses and our lives. So I'm interested to know...What's your routine? How do you plan your meals? Do you batch cook or use freezer meals (if so, what are your favorite recipes)? Please share with us your great ideas!


3 comments:
Wow and my husband thought that I was organized:) I plan for each week and have these menu planner pads that I pick up when I see them in the $1 spot at places. On the front I list the dinners by day and then on the back I make my shopping list for all the items I need in sections the order that we walk through the store. I do this so I don't forget something and have to walk back around the store to get it. We do most of our shopping at HEB but on the bottom I always make a list of other things I need to pick up (Costco, target or somewhere else that we might not go to each week)
After I started my meal planning I began going to the store every weekend (early before it gets to crowded) My husband used to hate going but about this time last year when I was really pregnant he didn't want me going by myself and he has been going ever since! Silly thing but it is a fun little outing and a way to spend time together as a family.
Some recipes that I found are on kraftfoods.com. They have a section on there 1 bag of groceries for 5 meals (although I rarely use the 5th, its always a frozen pizza. Quick and easy recipes for weeknights that are easy to change up. Hope you might find something you like!
You and I are kindred spirits- only these days I don't have the time to be organized like I used to be!
I bought a menu planner pad about 6 weeks ago at Target and haven't written a single thing on it yet!
But we've been doing a much better job eating in- on Sunday I put 3 things in the fridge to thaw- pork chops, hamburger meat, chicken etc and then figure out what to make with it. I keep my pantry and fridge pretty stocked with essentials- taco seasoning, cheese, pizza crust, spaghetti sauce, sides, etc.
cooking? lists? ROUTINE? I am clearly the one that needs the intervention... hahaha! I am glad you know me so well, this will not shock you at all. LOVE.
Post a Comment