Monday, May 11

Seeing Dots!



I'm making Cake Dots for my sister-in-law's high school graduation dinner party. I've made 2 test batches so far. My technique still needs to be perfected, so I decided to make another batch over the weekend. They turned out really great thanks to the advice from my friend Amy Ann!! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 box cake mix, any flavor (plus ingredients to bake it)
1 can icing, any flavor
2 bags vanilla flavored Candy Wafers - for dipping
1 bag vanilla flavored Candy Wafers - for drizzling

Supplies:
Cling Wrap
Foil
Melon baller
Parchment paper
Toothpicks
Make 'n Mold squeeze tube
Individual paper wrappers

Start out by baking 1 cake from a box. Let it cool completely and then crumble it into a stainless steal mixing bowl. I use the hand mixer to get it really broken down. Then add 1 can of icing and mix completely. Cover the surface with Cling Wrap and then cover the bowl with foil; chill over night or for several hours.

When you're ready to make the dots, use a melon baller so they are all about the same size.



Roll each ball and place on a cookie sheet.



Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least an hour. I like to use several smaller cookie sheets so I can dip them in smaller batches. Really cold dots coat better.

When you're ready to dip, melt a handful of Candy Wafers (purchased at Hobby Lobby) in a small but deep bowl. Be sure to follow the microwave heating directions very carefully.



When it's melted completely, spear a dot with a toothpick and put in the bowl of coating. Use a spoon to help cover the dot with melted coating.



Let excess drip off into the bowl and then place each dot on parchment paper and remove toothpick by twisting. It works best if you melt the chocolate in small batches.



Once the dots have been dipped, you will want to drizzle them to cover up the toothpick holes. You can either use the same color of coating or a different color. Crumble the wafers into a Make 'n Mold squeeze tube (this is from Hobby Lobby too) and microwave according to package directions.



Drizzle each dot to your liking. You can also add colored sugar, nuts and other embellishments before it drizzle hardens. After the coating has set, place each dot in an individual wrapper and store in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate because the coating can crack.









Each recipe makes about 58 cake dots, depending on size (and how many you eat while making them!!). For this batch, I used lemon cake and lemon icing. I've also made strawberry cake with cream cheese icing and also lemon cake with cream cheese icing.

Enjoy your Cake Dots!!!!

4 comments:

Liz said...

See, you're a blogger!! It just took you awhile to realize it!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made cake dots this weekend for Mother's day! I need to try your recipe..I have just made the chocolate with chocolate icing! They are so yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Amazingly it looks quite easy compared to the elegant dessert you end up with in the end! I can't wait for an occasion to try them! :)

Lindsi said...

YOU ARE SOMETHIN ELSE! hahaha! I had some tonight from the transplant party, they were yum! I bet yours are better!!!!