Monday, January 24

birdfeeders

Last weekend Addi and I made Pinecone Birdfeeders.  We went shopping on Saturday morning and bought the birdseed at the grocery store.

While she was taking her nap, I got everything set up.  She was so excited when she woke up!

First, you need peanut butter. 

And then you need pinecones. I went ahead and tied the wire to them. 

I just wrapped them around the center "core". 

Then you need birdseed.  I dumped some in a large tupperware container and let her use a measureing cup as her scoop. 

All set up and ready to go! 

She didn't waste any time once she woke up!  She got right to work! 
Spread the peanut butter on the pinecones.


Guess who liked to lick the peanut butter off the plastic knife?? 

Then you put the pinecones in the birdseed and roll them around. You can also use the scoop to help cover evenly. 



Next find a great tree to hang them in.  We have the perfect Japanese Maple Tree in the front yard.  We now have 3 pinecone birdfeeders haning proudly! 


Scott had never heard of making these birdfeeders and I thought every kid in America had made them at one point in their childhood.  Guess I have Judy Riley to thank for my birdfeeder experience!!

Hope you can make one soon!

2 comments:

Erica @ All About Aleigha said...

Such a cute idea for toddlers. Will definitely be doing this.

Liz said...

i'm not sure that MY daughter can do this one since she STILL eats everything: crayons, playdoh, etc. i'm sure eating bird seed is fine but maybe we'll wait a few years on this one!