The only reason I'm posting about this is to ask YOU for help! This may be too much information for you and if it is, I'm sorry. You have to remember that I'm a mom, and when something is wrong with my baby, I will do anything I can to make it better! So here I go...
We were ecstatic that Addi's tubes went so well on Monday...we could not have asked for an easier operation or a better recovery! However, on Tuesday evening, Addi was diagnosed with Clostridium Difficile, also known as C. Diff. She basically has had too many antibiotics in her system (thanks to ear infections) which have decreased the amount of good bacteria in her body. Her little colon has become very infected with the C. Diff bacteria. As you might have guessed, the results are not pretty at all! She (thank you GOD!!!) feels fine other than her main issue. In the 12 years (I think that's right) that our pediatrician has been in practice she has never seen a case in a baby...but then again this is our child we are talking about! My grandmother had a case of C. Diff a few years ago that lasted for 9 months and another friend of the family has been struggling for over 2 years now. Addi cannot go to daycare until she 100% better because this is extremely contagious (even hand sanitizer doesn't kill the C. Diff bacteria)! Our house is probably going to disintegrate from all of the Clorox I've used lately! Ironically, it is treated with an antibiotic. We had some compounded into liquid form for her to take and she has been on it for almost 2 days. Like I said, I'm posting about this to see if you know anything about this or have ever had an experience with it. I've done lots of research online and I've let my mind go places it probably shouldn't, but then again, I'm a mom and that's what we do best...worry! Scott and I have a conference call with our pediatrician this afternoon and will hopefully learn more information. We may be heading to Children's to see a specialist up there next week...we really have no idea where to go from here. Please just leave me a comment if you know anything.
I tried not to be too graphic so hopefully this wasn't TMI! Thanks so, so much!


3 comments:
Hi Erin!
You poor thing! I guess our kids are unique. Brody had C-Diff at 6 months b/c of being on antibiotics for a number of ear infections. He actually got over it quite easily with the proper antibiotics and we didn't have to do a whole lot of cleaning or anything. Probably it was because I didn't realize how serious it was.
If you go to Children's I would recommend Dr. Steele. That is who Brody goes to!
Hi Erin. I actually know quite a bit about it but I as well have never had a pediatric patient with it. Most people get over it fairly quickly and as resiliant as kids are, I imagine they probably respond even better than adults. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me or email me. Hopefully your talk with the doctor will help today. 214-232-2858 or kisharlong@gmail.com
Erin, it's good that you guys got a diagnosis. It can happen quite often to kids that get a lot of antibiotics during their childhood. Heck, it happens to older people more often.
I don't remember it being that infectious so I wouldn't go too crazy with the Clorox but it is good to practice good hand hygiene. Just remember, you've got her on the right treatment and she'll likely do fine.
Rob
Post a Comment